This month’s recipes are brought to you by Lucky’s Market, the natural and organic foods grocery store located in Ann Arbor. The helpful staff at Lucky’s recommended an easy, one-pot dinner, and a healthy dessert the whole family will enjoy — Thai Peanut Pasta, using the freshest peanut butter from fresh ground peanuts at Lucky’s Market and Healthy Trail Mix from Lucky’s incredible trail mix bar.
Thai Peanut Pasta
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thumb sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thumb sized pieces
- 3 green onions, sliced in half lengthwise and then in 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Lucky’s freshly ground peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 12 ounces linguine noodles
- 4 cups Lucky’s vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (and/or fish sauce, if desired)
- 2 inches of a ginger root, sliced into thick slices
- Garnish with Lime and crushed peanuts
After preparing all of the ingredients, simply place them all in a large stockpot. Cover pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a low simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every couple minutes. Cook at least until the pasta is al dente or leave it on the heat to reduce the liquid further. Prior to eating, remove the ginger slices (you won’t want to bite into them directly) and add salt and pepper to taste. Plate and add garnishes.
This recipe calls for a lot of ingredients, but the resulting flavor is worth it! If your family is not a fan of peppers, omit them entirely because the flavor lingers on the noodles. Make a big batch; the wider noodles heat up well for leftovers.
Healthy Trail Mix
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Mix together and enjoy!