Parents can breathe a sigh of relief and school students can enjoy nutritious meals as a new Ann Arbor Public Schools program offers Washtenaw County kids free breakfast and lunch packages to eat at home.
As all K-12 schools in Michigan are closed until at least April 5 in an effort to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, many students who get their lunch every day from their school cafeteria were at risk of going hungry. But thanks to a waiver granted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, meals may now be distributed to students to be eaten off school grounds.
Ann Arbor Public Schools have designated 11 pickup locations for free breakfast and lunch packages, for children age 18 and under.
- Arbor Club Apartments, 1100 Rabbit Run Cir.
- Arbor Meadows, 5229 W Michigan, Ypsilanti.
- Arrowwood Hills Community Center, 2566 Arrowwood Trail
- Avalon Housing, 701 Miller & 1500 Pauline
- Bryant Community Center, 3 W Eden St.
- Carpenter Elementary School, 4250 Central Blvd.
- Carrot Way, 1731 Dhu Varren
- Coachville, 3423 Carpenter Rd.
- Green Baxter Court Community Center, 1737 Green Rd.
- Hikone Community Center, 2724 Hikone Dr.
- Lakestone Apartments, 4275 Eyrie Dr.
- Maple Meadows Satellite Center, 1111 N. Maple Rd.
- Orchard Grove, 2835 S Wagner, #200
- Pinelake Village Cooperative, 2680 Adrienne Dr.
- Scarlett Middle School, 3300 Lorraine St.
- Scio Farms, 6655 Jackson Rd.
Meals will be available for pickup between 11am and 12:30pm on Friday, March 20; Tuesday, March 24; Friday, March 27, Tuesday, March 31 and Thursday, April 2. Some days will include extra meals to account for additional breakfasts and lunches.
Questions? Contact the AAPS Hotline at 734-994-2265.