Children love glitter, stickers, hearts, and being creative, so this Valentine’s Day craft is bound to be a hit. Blogger Kate from Red Ted Art shared her version of Toilet Paper Love Bugs, but there really is no wrong way to make this project. Simple to assemble, these love bugs can be designed and decorated in countless ways. My mom and I had just as much fun creating our love bugs as my 2-year-old daughter.
- Toilet rolls or paper towel rolls cut to size
- Paint (think Valentine’s Day colors)
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Colored paper
- Tacky craft glue or hot glue gun
- Markers or pens
Optional Supplies: Pom poms, glitter, stickers, ribbon, jewels
- Paint your toilet paper rolls or cover them with paper measured and cut to the correct height and width.
- Poke six holes in your toilet roll tube with a kitchen skewer for the pipe cleaner legs to go through— three down each side so the skewer comes out the other end of the roll.
- Cut the pipe cleaners in half and thread them through the holes to make six legs.
- Decorate your love bug by adding stripes, pom poms, ribbon, stickers, etc.
- Glue on googly eyes and draw a mouth with a marker.
- Create wings with two medium-sized hearts glued to the back of the love bug with the ends of the hearts touching.
- Make two antennas by cutting small hearts with a stem coming from the bottom of the heart. Glue these to the inside of the love bug.