School is starting soon and this year your goal is: the kids will eat a healthy breakfast before school. For a break from cereal here is a great option— tortilla roll ups— sweet, savory, quick and nutritious.
Strawberry Banana Roll Ups
(Makes 2 servings)
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla
- ¼ cup nut butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 ripe strawberries, sliced
- Optional toppings
- Drizzle of honey (or a chocolate hazelnut spread like Nutella)
- Flax seeds
- Chocolate chips
- Lay your tortilla on a flat surface (or a paper towel to make it truly to go). Spread the nut butter on the tortilla, concentrating it more in the center.
- Set your peeled banana and strawberries in the center along with any additional toppings.
- Roll, slice in half, and enjoy!
- For a less sweet breakfast, a great option: omelette muffins. These muffins are full of protein and veggies. It’s easy to prepare a batch and they are delicious!
(Makes about 12-16 muffins)
- 2 sausages, removed from casing
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- ¼ cup finely grated carrot
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- Salt and Pepper
- 10-12 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink and it is broken up into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooked sausage, all the chopped veggies and basil.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the veggie and sausage mixture and stir to combine.
- Fill muffin cups with the egg mixture leaving some room for the muffins to expand (don’t fill to the top of the cup).
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle.
Muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.